Professor Emeritus of Physics
Field of Research : Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Ph.D.: Harvard University
Experimental condensed-matter physics
- "Jan Tauc, a biographical memoir of the National Academy of Sciences", M. Cardona, S. Nagel, R. Zallen, and K. Zaveta, NAS (2011).
- "Optical Studies of Nanophase Titania", R.J. Gonzalez and R. Zallen, in Amorphous insulators and Semiconductors, edited by M.F. Thorpe and M. Mitkova (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1997), p. 395.
- "The Optical Properties, Electronic Structure, and Photoconductivity of Arsenic Chalcogenide Layer Crystals", R. Zallen and D.F. Blossey, in Optical and Electrical Properties of Compounds with Layered Structures, edited by P. A. Lee. (Reidel publishers, Dordrecht, 1976), pp. 231-272.
- "Fundamental Absorption Edge of Trigonal HgS", R. Zallen, in II-VI Semiconducting Compounds, edited by D. G. Thomas (W. A. Benjamin Inc., New York, 1967), p. 877.
- "The Effect of Pressure on Optical Properties of the Noble Metals", R. Zallen, in Optical Properties and Electronic Structure of Metals and Alloys, edited by F. Abeles (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1966), p. 164.
- “The Sixteen-Percent Solution: Critical Volume Fraction for Percolation”, R. Zallen, in Phase Transitions and Self-Organization in Electronic and Molecular Networks, edited by M.F. Thorpe and J.C. Phillips (Kluwer Academic/Plenum Press, New York, 2001), pp. 37-41.
- “Raman Study of the Annealing-Induced Structural Evolution of an a-Si:H/a-Ge:H Superlattice”, S.T. Massie et al. in Proc. 22nd Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors, edited by D.J. Lockwood (World Scientific, Singapore, 1995), pp. 2709-2712.
- “Electrostatics and Xerography”, R. Zallen, mini-chapter in Paul Tipler’s, textbook Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Worth Publishers, New York, 1991), pp. 682-684.
- (Semiconductor) “Crystal Structures”, R. Zallen, in Handbook on Semiconductors, Vol. One, edited by W. Paul (North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1982), pp. 1-27.
- “Phonons in Two-Dimensional-Network Crystals”, R. Zallen, in Proc. 12th Int. Conf. on the Physics of Semiconductors (Teubner Press, Stuttgart, 1974), pp. 621-625.
- “The Interaction with Light of Phonons in Selenium”, R. Zallen and G. Lucovsky, in Selenium, edited by R.A. Zingaro and W.C. Cooper (Van Nostrand/Reinhold, New York, 1974), pp. 148-173.
“Critical Density in Percolation Processes”, H. Scher and R. Zallen, J. Chem. Phys. 53 (1970), pp. 3759-3761.